1 December 2006

Your Success Stories

Avoiding complications – Marianne
‘About 10 months ago I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and high cholesterol. I had been overweight for most of my life and have been treated with medication for hypertension for 20 years. I searched the Web for a nutritional plan to help me lose weight. As a nurse I knew I craved carbohydrates, especially bread. I came across the plan for glycemic index and have followed it since then. So far I have lost over 30 pounds. I visited my physician after six months of weight loss and my cholesterol levels and glucose levels (HbA1c) were all the normal range. When I see my physician next month she wants to stop my diabetes medication. I exercise every day and feel so much better. I have a lot more energy, I sleep better, and I actually enjoy going out with my friends and family. I hope to lose more weight and avoid any complications from my diabetes, high cholesterol, and hypertension.’

[SCALES]

Preventing diabetes – Jason
I've been overweight most of my life. I remained overweight after becoming a vegan in 1994. I've had diabetic symptoms such as chronic pain and fatigue in the arches of my feet since I've been 18, and occasionally constant thirst, and frequent urination. When I got blood cholesterol panels tested, it always came back with the same results: Normal total cholesterol, high triglycerides and low HDL. My doctors always told me to lose weight and exercise more, but I could never lose the weight permanently. In the summer of 2004, I once again had a cholesterol panel blood test. Once again the results were the same, high triglycerides and low HDL. I looked up the symptoms in the Dr. Weil website. It says high triglycerides, low HDL and weight concentrated around the mid-section (the classic apple shape, which was how I looked), were symptoms of insulin resistance. There was another article that recommended eating lower on the GI index. That information led me to the website and books. After a few days after adopting a low GI diet to my vegan diet my foot pain was gone. I started to lose weight immediately. After a few months I was down to 140 pounds from the 160s. The symptoms of insulin resistance in my follow-up blood test were greatly diminished. Today my BMI is 22. I really do believe the information in your books and web site saved me from diabetes and heart disease. I have no hesitation in recommending the GI website and books to friends and family. Merry Christmas.

Inspire others. Share your GI story.
success story

We'll send you a free copy of The Low GI Diet Cookbook if your story is published.

[COOKBOOKS]

0 comments: